Friday, October 17, 2008

Dailymotion

dailymotion.com is a video site much like YouTube. Apparently, Dailymotion is becoming more and more popular in Europe and is attracting world-wide viewers more and more everyday. A friend had told me about Dailymotion about a month ago, but I never bothered to check it out. I finally, tonight, and probably because I thought I could blog about it here, went to see what it had to offer. 

I searched videos for bands that I like, because that's what I usually do on YouTube, and most of them were comparable to what YouTube had, however, Dailymotion, a France based site, didn't have anywhere near the videos of lesser known bands from America. A band I've been interested in lately, The Avett Brothers, a North Carolina folk/punkish (I know, sounds ridiculous, but its awesome) duo, had only one video show up. YouTube had over 7 pages of 20 videos when I typed in "Avett Brothers". That one show on Dailymotion was a concert in Glasgow, Scotland, which made me go back and look at some of the more popular bands I had searched earlier. I found that Dailymotion did offer some live video from European shows that would have probably taken a while to find on YouTube. 

I suppose if you are a die hard fan of any band or artist, who exhausts YouTube footage, Dailymotion does have some videos you haven't seen, but Dailymotion's growing popularity probably won't really catch on in America soon. 

Music is the only thing I explored on Dailymotion, but I would encourage everyone to visit it and see how it compares to the places you go to online and the things that interest you.

1 comment:

None Gmail said...

I have used DailyMotion before, but only after being sent there from a link from a friend. It seems most of their content is more professional than YouTube's. I don't see much "home made" stuff on DailyMotion. I kind of like that idea.