Friday, September 5, 2008

One Laptop signs up with Amazon

Hey everyone, it's Adam Kimble. I was browsing through BBC's website and I found this article to be very interesting. I heard about this OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) venture when it first was coming about, but I hadn't heard much since until now. Essentially what happened is that Amazon made a deal with the OLPC organization to help sell the low cost laptops. The deal goes as follows: You buy a laptop from Amazon, and another laptop is sent to a child in another nation for education. They call this the Give 1 Get 1 program (G1G1), and I think it's awesome. Sure it's just a way to help sell more laptops, but it is for a great cause too, so I am intrigued by it. The OLPC organization tried running the program themselves, and it failed, so they turned to Amazon for help. I'm interested to see how and if the sales fluctuate as a result of this!

1 comment:

bcjohnson said...

This is a good idea if you simply can a want to give back. Although the laptop probably wont be of much use to people like you and I who use PCs daily, I'm sure it will benefit others who are less fortunate.